Monday, September 10, 2012

Canning Tomatoes

I received these instructions from one of my "Mom's". I trust her advice because she has earned many a blue ribbons for her canning at state fairs. My only regret is I didn't learn more from her before she moved...here we go !

Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Drop your tomatoes in. When their skins split, remove them from the pot to a sink of cold water. Peel and quarter.

Each jar will need 1/2 t. salt and 2 T. of lemon juice. Then press in as many tomatoes you can fit into a jar, leaving 1/2 inch to the top.

after filling your jars make sure you have cleaned to rims of your jars and removed any tomato debre and/or juice. She recommended using a good paper towel to leave it dry.

Place the lids on the jar and then the ring firmly. Place jars into cold water bath, bring to boil for 45 min.

Allow to cool and seal. Place in storage and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment